Thursday, March 21, 2013

Review: Racktime Addit Rear Rack

I recently purchased a new rear rack and thought I would share my impressions so far. The Racktime Addit retails for $60, although they can be found for less with a little bit of searching. I got mine on sale at REI for $48. I chose the black finish because that is what they had in stock, but it is also available in silver. The Addit features a sturdy aluminum frame, dual mounting rails, and a max load capacity of 30 Kg / 66 lbs.

racktime addit

Installation was pretty easy. All the necessary parts were included, and I did the job with a hex wrench, an adjustable crescent wrench, and a hacksaw and file (for trimming the excess length of the upper attachment arms). Bear in mind that not all bike frames are alike, and installation may not be as easy on other frames.

First impressions: This is a very sturdy rack, with excellent build quality. It fits my 58cm Surly Cross Check very nicely. The rack remains solid when riding, and there is no rattling of any kind. It feels almost as if the rack is an extension of the bike frame, simply because I don't notice it's back there. There is plenty of clearance for fatter tires and/or fenders, which I may well add at some point. One final touch is a mounting plate for a rear light, which ends up being quite well protected by the rack frame.

racktime addit

Unfortunately, I had to relocate the hooks on my Jandd Mini Mountain panniers to get them to fit the rack. This took a bit of time. On the plus side, when the panniers are attached to the lower rails, it keeps the upper rails fully clear for lashing other items to the top platform. Heel clearance is good too.

While I got this rack primarily for commuting and errands around town, I have already used it on a four day bike tour, and it performed very well.

cross check loaded

4 comments:

  1. Nice review -- thanks for sharing! A few questions: Do you think the larger set of holes in the brace above where the rack attaches to the frame would suffice to mount fender stays? And would those stays then be banged up by a heavy pannier? How do or would you plan to add a rear fender to your bike? Regards,

    Mark D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those larger holes are for attaching pannier or bungee hooks to the bottom of the rack. I'm not sure about using them for fender stays. My Cross Check frame has two sets of eyelets at the rear dropouts, so I would use the second set to mount a rear fender. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. It also has the integrated "SNAP-IT" mounts, and using these racks with their companion bags is what really sets them apart. Paniers, baskets, and trunks that all quickly and securely attach to the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for adding that useful info. I already had panniers from another company when I got the Addit, so I haven't yet tried it with the proprietary Racktime bags.

      Delete