Saturday, April 6, 2013

Daypack Survival Kit

Recently in Southern California, a young couple went for a day hike only to end up lost in the wilderness for several days. After an exhaustive search, and a bit of luck, both hikers were found, although they were suffering from severe dehydration. It could have ended much worse, but it also could have ended better.

There are a number of items which are good to have with you on a day hike. On a typical, leisurely hike, these items make the experience more pleasant and comfortable. If unexpected problems arise, they can aid in your very survival. At a minimum, I take the following with me on day hikes:

  • Water
  • Snacks
  • Hat
  • Extra Layers
  • Trail Map
  • Cell Phone

Years ago, I got to thinking about other things that would be useful if I ever wound up lost in the wilderness. So, I put together a small survival kit which I keep in my daypack at all times. It consists of the following (clockwise from top left):

survival kit

  • Small First Aid Kit
  • Emergency Blanket
  • Signal Mirror
  • Compact Water Filter
  • Cordage
  • Compact Folding Knife
  • Lighter
  • Compass
  • Compact Headlamp
  • Insect Repellant
  • Sunscreen

All of these items fit into a 7"x6" pouch, and together weigh less than a pound. It isn't even noticeable in my pack, but I have no doubt that they would be tremendously helpful in a survival situation.

survival kit

No comments:

Post a Comment