Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Stunning Southern Utah

canyonlands overlook

Southern Utah is famous for its scenery, and deservedly so. In fact, there is so much to see in this corner of the southwestern US, that one could spend a lifetime exploring it. I had three weeks available to me, yet I feel like I just scratched the surface. To begin with, there are five national parks in the area, plus numerous other federal and state recreation areas. There are also many parks bordering the area in neighboring states. My travels were mostly confined to the national parks: Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands, and Arches. (This is where buying an annual pass becomes a good idea. I gained access to all these parks and can still use the pass at other national parks throughout the year.) Spring turned out to be a good time for visiting the area. By the month of April, things have warmed up for the most part, but you're unlikely to experience the sweltering highs of summer. That said, the temperature can still fluctuate significantly this time of year. We went from swimming in a river on a warm day to hiking in a snowstorm in the higher elevations. In short, it's best to bring gear for all sorts of weather this time of year. I will be covering the different destinations in more detail in the coming days, so stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. Are you biking? Went on a long southwest car trip years ago. Utah was amazing. Want to go back with my bike one day. I think Highway 12 would be a great ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daniel. Didn't have the bikes on this trip. We were covering a lot of ground and it mostly made sense to go with the car plus hiking. I would like to return there with my bike at some point. One road I would love to ride is the Burr Trail Road, which branches off from Highway 12 at Boulder and leads to Capitol Reef National Park. Amazing scenery and very little traffic.

      Delete